Fast, Pain-Free Hospital Birth

December 17, 2019

Kelsey’s Birth Story

On October 5th, I was 41 weeks along and had been discussing the option of being induced the day before with my doula. But I woke up at 12:30 AM and felt something pop. It was kind of painful, so I went to the bathroom to check it out. Immediately I started having contractions after that. By 1 am, I was feeling the waves of contractions—the peak and then the dissipating.

At 1:30 am I texted my Doulas and told them that I was definitely feeling contractions and that I was also having some light bleeding. I had been timing my contractions and they were coming every 3-5min and lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute long. Lindsey said it sounded exactly like early labor and suggested I don’t time them just yet, but to try to sleep if I could (or at least try to rest between them). I told her I definitely couldn’t sleep ‘cause they were quite painful, but I stopped timing them and just tried to focus on breathing and relaxing.

By 4:30 am I noticed that my laboring was changing. I was starting to “grunt” and my body had basically started involuntarily pushing. I knew that was a sign that this baby was coming soon, but thought it had to be WAY too early for that if this was supposed to just be “early labor”.

I honestly didn’t feel like they were getting more intense, because I was getting through them fairly easily. I wouldn’t even say they hurt at all, just discomfort. I definitely felt like they were coming fast as I was having to jump out of bed the second I would lay down to rest. But I think I was so focused and in a different place mentally, that I didn’t really put two-and-two together.

I called my doula, Michelle, and told her I was having involuntary pushing happening and the feeling like I needed to poop. Also, (and I don’t know what exactly made me want to check), while on the phone with her, I was pretty sure I could FEEL HIS HEAD! She said from what she was hearing over the phone, it wasn’t sounding like I was in that phase of labor yet, because I was still holding a conversation and seemed pretty quiet. So she told me to try and just continue breathing through the contractions and to try NOT to push, cause if I wasn’t fully dilated it wouldn’t be good.

My body was pretty exhausted from doing a few hours worth of “wall sits”, (go figure), so Michelle suggested I sit on the toilet and try to just breathe through the contractions. Shortly after, I checked again and I swore I could feel his head even lower this time! The first time I felt he was about mid-knuckle. This time I felt he was almost to my lower knuckle! When I told her that, she suggested we should probably head to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at just about 5:30 am. One of the nurses checked me and said, “Uh, ya! She was right! His head is right there!” I was complete! 100% effaced, 10cm dilated and ready to push! I had fully labored at home. and pretty much all on my own. Even though I had felt his head and knew my body was clearly ready to push, I still couldn’t really believe that I was about to push a baby out of me, It had only been like 5 hours!

I got on the bed backward, draped over the head of the bed, so my doula could help with counter pressure on my back. While one of the nurses ran to get a doctor, (not my doctor, just any available doctor…cause apparently this baby was coming fast!), Jordan ran to get all of our stuff and to park the car.

Kelsey White
Lukas John White, 7 lbs., 9 oz. & 19″

Related Articles