Spontaneous Twin Delivery

December 18, 2019

Emily’s Birth Story

Because I was carrying mono-di twins, the general recommendation is to deliver no later than 37 weeks. To put it gently, my doctor was very concerned with us waiting for spontaneous labor. Swelling and a slight rise in BP made it apparent that my body was getting tired during the pregnancy; however, the babies and placenta looked great. I increased my rest, movement, nutrition and supplements and continued monitoring the babies often.

Despite my doctor’s concerns, doing these things made us comfortable waiting. In fact, I felt so strongly that I missed my scheduled induction (I think he and I both knew I wouldn’t come in). This is not my recommendation for everyone! For myself, I believe in being informed, empowered, knowing your body well, being confident in your decisions because you know what is best for you.

On Monday morning when I was 37 weeks and 4 days, my feelings were confirmed by the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist. We left the office more confident and reassured to wait for spontaneous labor than ever before. I felt that God was very clear to me through preaching and scripture that waiting was right, and it was so nice to leave their office, not in turmoil or doubting anymore.

Around 1 pm, just as we were finishing lunch, I felt a strange twinge, then a gush of fluid. I matter-of-factly informed Bill and then our waitress that my water had broken. Bill got ready to go but I decided to take a nap before the contractions came on.

I rested and worked through contractions until almost 3 pm when I called Bill back into our room. He called our doula, Korey, to tell her about my progress. Since we were waiting for Korey’s daughter to watch our two-year-old, I decided to take a shower (which sounded so good at the time!). While in the shower, it felt great to squat through each contraction. I could see Baby A’s body had shifted to a completely anterior position, ready to be born. It was one of the most beautiful things and it made me want to weep! Shortly after, it’s like I snapped back into my brain out of labor-land, and knew that I should get out of the shower immediately; because if bearing down on each contraction felt so good, it was only a matter of time.

My husband, Bill was quite relieved when I was finally willing/ready to go to the hospital. Thankfully that was also the moment that my doula arrived. By then each contraction lasted about five minutes with two good surges within the contraction. We made it to the hospital in time for me to work through the next contraction in the parking lot, another surge at the registration desk, and another waiting outside labor and delivery until I could sign the Consent to Treat form.

Everything was a pretty big whirlwind from there; with me mostly unaware of the chaos and mostly ignoring the nurses but occasionally interjecting something that I wasn’t going to do! My doctor even asked if I would look at him just once and I shook my head at him.
It was getting difficult to relax into the contraction enough to avoid pain and I said out loud that I was having a hard time embracing the pain. Counter pressure on my hips was helpful and at one point I was yelling at Bill and Korey to push. The nurses in a frenzy asked if I was ready to push and I yelled back, “No! I need Korey to push!” Bill and I were both very grateful to have her on our birthing team; knowing that she knew my preferences and could be my voice in labor gave me confidence. She was very affirming to me during labor, which was very helpful.

I squatted for most of the labor until I got on the bed on all fours to push. It was amazing to work with my body and be so in tune with it! Another thing that helped me relax and open was saying “Down” repeatedly.

About four good pushes and Savannah was out. I was very concerned that they had taken her to the warmer and they really had to snap my attention back to my doctor so he could get Vanessa’s feet. She was so low already that extraction wasn’t necessary, in my opinion, but he pulled anyway, and with one push she was out. Savannah weighed 7lbs 6oz and Vanessa 7lbs 14oz.

Labor with these girlies was shorter than the second stage alone with my first baby had been! We left for the hospital at 4 pm, so I was at the hospital just around 40 minutes before the girls were born. For the sake of being left alone to labor, I joked about having a baby in triage and I practically got my wish!

I had desired to deliver outside of the operating room and to not use epidural, both of which can be hard to make happen for twin deliveries. Thankfully my desires were fulfilled! These makeup for where I was compelled to compromise my preferences.

We are so grateful that the girls came spontaneously and that Bill was with me when labor started! This truly was an empowering birth experience and a great start to being a twin Mommy.

Emily Louis

Related Articles